Sunday, April 13, 2008

Be Brave! Feed your mind, your soul, your eyes


Tonight was the Official opening of the Brave Art Show at the World Ski and Snowboard Festival. My god, the art was just mind blowing. Raw creativity, polished to a brilliant shine. Where else can you watch artists, brilliant, passionate artists (who just happen to be really down to earth, laid back, grounded folks) create works of art right there, as you watch. No techy, snarkiness from any of these people. People were chatting with them, taking photos, all while the artists were working on new works! The artists were chill, laid back. Drinking a beer with the people watching, happy to talk. I love it when Art (with a definite capital "A") gets told to bugger off, because real, from-the-guts kind of art is being made and shown. The kind of art made by artists rooted in the street, made without pretentious blather. The list of artists involved was huge, but tonight I got to meet She One, Milan Basic, Dedos, and Ben Tour. I got to speak a bit with Ben as he worked. He's a really nice guy (I'm pretty sure they were all pretty cool, but I didn't get to talk much with the others). My only suggestion - Ben, you've got to get a cool arty name like the others. She One put on a live demonstration of how he works on a huge wall of black painted plywood. Dedos's kids were there. Really super cute kids. I mean, come on, where else can you watch an exceptional artists make a few brush strokes on a new work, then go over and talk to his cute little boy in a stroller who is calling out for dad!? And through it all, a dj (whose name I forgot to get - sorry man, my fault - you rocked) was mixing some awesome beats. Everyone, even the exhausted staff, was moving to the groove. I just wallowed in the creative positive energy. If you missed the opening, you missed something special (I know, I know, the Big Air show was going on, so I don't blame you, it was a tough decision.). If you are in Whistler, set aside some time, and go indulge your inner artist in the great energy of the Brave Art Show. It is a brilliant collection. Darrin and the rest of the Brave Art crew do an amazing job. Keep it up guys, you really are doing something amazing








No comments: